Just when you thought it was safe to go back outside, here comes hot summer weather to endure. The logical question to ask at this point is “How can I make my summer energy bills as low as possible?”
For most people, the answer is to search on ways to save on your energy bill, but there’s also the matter of finding the best energy provider to use. So, how do you shop smart for the best electricity rates?
Unfortunately, finding the right energy provider is often a roll of the dice. There are hundreds of different plans, with many of them being misleading and confusing. On the other hand, with a little shopping around, you can find good deals. Just as is the case with anything else, you have to be willing to do your own investigating and shopping around. There are good deals to be found.
Here are some tips.
1. Don’t trust your current energy provider is offering you the best rate when it comes time for renewal. . There was a time when if you stayed with an energy company you were “legacied” in, and could be assured that your rates would not change. Unfortunately, that philosophy is a thing of the past. Energy providers can and do change their rates when they want to.
2. Be willing to move. Being on the lookout for the lowest rates means being on the lookout for the best savings and being willing to switch companies when the rates are better somewhere else.
3. Watch the numbers. Even the smallest changes in rates can amount to a big difference in the amount of your bill. For example, your usage rate is measured in kilowatt-hours, or kwh. If your rate goes from 12 cents per kwh to 8 cents per kwh, you will save $ 100 or more in a single month. That’s a savings that is worth watching for.
4. How much are you paying for your electricity? You don’t know? That’s okay, because most people don’t. On the other hand, if you expect to go shopping for a better rate, you should at least know what you are paying now. This way, when you are offered a different rate by a provider, you will know whether you are getting a better savings deal or not.
5. Do your homework. All of the above said, you should know that in order to get the best rates to save, you need to do your homework, but it bears repeating.
Getting the best energy rates will bring out the best of the commando in you, but when you finally are able to get a better deal on your energy rates, rest assured that the money you save on your power bill will be your own.